Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Thailand Trip - Met with Few Good People


I was planning to visit Thailand from last one month but Project schedule was not so flexible which facilitate some gap in between for 4-5 days. This causes last minutes ticket booking and hotel reservation. Fortunately we got Chinese festival on Tuesday and I was having one day scheduled compensation leave. I was able to leave Hong Kong on Friday evening by Hong Kong express at 22:10PM and booked returned ticket for Tuesday evening. We reached Bangkok Airport – Swarnbhumi around 00:30 which means flight arrived at right time. We proceeded for immigration. Indian needs On Arrival VISA which requires one photograph and 1000BT. Fill up the form and move to verification counter. One officer will verify your form and then let you go to another counter where your passport will be stamped with arrival date. It was not so lengthy process to get the tourist VISA if you compare with any European countries. So that was the comfortable and easy going part. We were happy to get the VISA. We moved to Baggage counter and collected our luggage. All these formalities took around 2 hour to complete and it was around 2:30AM when we realised that we need to spend few hours on the Air port because first Bus which was scheduled to depart from Thailand Air port to Pattaya was at 7 AM. So I decided to find the place to sleep. After spending few minutes here and there, we were able to find the place to sleep. We were disappointed because we compared the Air port with Hong Kong which is really nice and there are having very nice place for passenger to get some rest. Anyway, I slept for 2 hours and when I woke up, it was around 5:30AM in the morning. I decided to go to washroom and fresh myself. I got the coffee from local store which was again the bad experience but you need something to drink in the morning before you start the day and that should be hot.

Heavy rain started in the evening when we reached to Pattaya. It was Saturday evening. We rented the Bike as soon as we get Pattaya and that was the pretty good decision. We started travelling from Saturday morning and covered few Buddha temples and Jomtien Beach Area which was quiet and beautiful.
It was clean and less crowded. If you will go to Pattaya and want to stay at quiet place, this place would be the good choice. Specially who are going with family and want to make the distance with go-go bar and walking street, please stay here. And those who are interested in Go-Go Bars and Walking Streets Area, Obviously you will stay near to Pattaya Beach. Based on my experience, i will try to add some advice if you are renting room here. Room those are pretty cheap, there are chance that you do not like because of hygiene and the surroundings especially family. If you are bachelor and pretty clear about your intention, please do not go to cheaper price only because you will not be travelling to these places so often and you will not like to ruin your holidays because you are saving few bucks.  I talked to few tourists who shared very horrible experience specially a lady who was travelling with her daughter and her company sponsored her trip. She was pretty upset about the room because she got here and there lipstick mark, dirty and funky odour smell and room was located very near to Go-Go bar which makes things hard for her teenage daughter. It’s always advisable to check room before renting. In case you are trying to make booking online and looking for decent stay, please go for the good brand which might cost 800-900Baht and more. In case of cheaper room, please read the review very carefully. It’s useful. People are so kind these days to share their experience on the blog. I always advise to read few blogs and trip adviser sites before going to any tourist destination. Not only because you will be safe. It will be useful to organize your trip before you reached there. Information and Mental Preparation always helps if things are not moving in the right direction.  

Saturday Evening, around 10PM, i was looking something nice for dinner as we had Sub way in afternoon. I thought to go in that part where we have not covered in the day. I drove 10 minutes and then rain started. There were torrential rains which compelled me to stop. I parked the bike and moved towards a Pull Bar. I was not in the mood to play Pull but there was no other way to keep yourself occupied in the heavy rain. Fortunately I got the company from someone who looks for me as bar staff.  She introduced herself and we started the game. She was playing pretty good and forced me to take interest in the game before i loose. After first game, i realized she is going to cost me a drink. Still It was raining outside so there was no other way to avoid her company. We played 4 game together and score was 2-2.  She insisted me to play other game but till that time, rain was stopped and there was no reason for me to play another game. I went to pay the bill at counter and after some beautiful talk i was able to leave that place.
I started back to the same road to reach Hotel before rain start again. It was 11PM and the road on which i was driving was declared one way after this time. This was disaster for the first day. Thank God there was no police otherwise i should paid some fine for this. I took U turn and tried to take the parallel road which goes to my Hotel. I tried to take every immediate turn but there were jammed everywhere and hell lot of water. Finally got the right road after some short cut and brave but foolish turn. Hotel was hardly 15 min drive from that turn but it’s like heavy rain was waiting for me to come to that road and it’s started again. Fortunately i got the place to eat which was on the main road itself. I stopped and till that time i was soaked. Thanks to Shorts and Slippers. I was not worried much because it was easier to carry these light cloths in the rainy weather. After few minutes, i got some hot drinks and the snacks before my main course arrived. I saw the heavy rain after several months. I always enjoyed the rain and it was pleasant to watch each drop and hear the sound. Specially if you are seating at the nice place where you can feel the rain without getting wet. I finished my dinner as slowly as possible. Enjoying every bit of weather and the food. I finished with my food around 12:45AM  but it was still raining but not with that intensity as before. So i started my bike and reached Hotel. I parked the bike in Hotel Parking and went to room. Till this  time, i was feeling sleepy. Room was so cosy. I went to  bed and slept well.

Sunday, I was so fresh after a very good sleep. I took my breakfast and we planned to roam around in the rain itself.  I started the Bike and turned to main Road.
Trouble-1,
It was so much water that our bike stopped. I thought to take a walk instead of going by Bike. We tried to start the bike but there was no chance.  I parked the Bike and we started roaming by walk in a pretty suitable cloth for rain. We got some crazy people like us. Roaming in the rain and enjoying their stay in Pattaya. Trust me, City was full of water but people enthusiasm and buoyancy  was not stopped for a minute or something which can stopped them to enjoy their trip. I am sure so many people will love to stay in hotel who does not like rain or getting wet.

We stopped to a bar and ordered something to drink so we can chill out. A Lady came and asked my friend , you want to ring a bell and my friend rang the bell. Here You Go –
Trouble-2, Do Not do anything at unknown place which is not causing you a penny.
When we finished the drink, we got to know we are going to pay the bill for all those 2-3 people who were drinking along with us. OOOOOOOOOOOOH – it was too much, that was  my first response and I felt so irritated when heard the logic, If you ring the bell you will pay for everybody.
My friend talked with them politely and finally issue got resolved. I can assure you, those are the nice people on the bar and mostly Ladies no gents otherwise It had gone worst.

We have not returned the bike yet which was supposed to be returned to their owner on time because they took 1000BT as security and the passport photo copy.  It was raining from last 12 hours and there was hell lot of water stored inside the City which was in hurry  to go to Sea and we were walking to the road near to Sea. You will be in Sea in matter of second if you slipped here. I was walking along with Bike using the pedestrian path as much as possible. We realised that shop was quiet far from hotel and we will not be able to took this Bike across the water without denying more disaster. I left the bike there along with my friend and i walked to the Shop to talk to the lady who has rented us the bike. Ladies are doing most of the work in Pattaya as long as there is no trouble. I talked to that lady and tried to explain the situation but she denied to help and send somebody to help us in bringing the bike back to her shop. After 5-10 min talk i realised , Conversation with Lady is waste of time and effort so i left the place without concluding anything.  It was horrible walking across the road which was 20ft wide – full of water and water speed was terrible. I observed few brave heart people were doing this stunt to cross the road in heavy water. I followed one of them and did the same thin. I repeated this 2-3 time while reaching to the Bike where i left with my friend. I got some confidence while reaching to that bike and concluded that we can do this. My friend was terrified to see the amount of water and speed. I insisted him and make him believe that together we can do it. I was laughing while crossing the road in so much water. When we rented the bike, we never thought about this situation. Believe me Guys, one important thing which i missed is to see the weather forecast. We are not used to when we live in  – Hong Kong , Thailand or  India too. It would be useful this time if we have known this fact.  Finally we returned the bike and got 1000BT back but she did not returned the Passport photocopy because she was unable to start the bike. We left the bike and felt big relief while coming back. Pattaya was more beautiful without Bike J.
We went back to Hotel. We have taken Thai Massage which was need and credit goes to Rain and Bike which was followed by Hot Bath and Good Food. It was the right time to spent some time inside the Hotel. We took 2 hours rest and started our journey again in the evening.  Still it was raining. We planned for Parachutes, Jet-skis and speedboats – all water activities are on hold till further notice. It was so disappointing for so many other tourist also who came there to enjoy the water sports.
We booked the famous Alkazar Dance-Musical show of Pattaya which was most popular show in Pattaya. After watching, i realized, there was too much marketing which has given show popularity to this show. Indeed it was good after so many other disappointment but here also, rain was waiting for us.
Finally We went to walking street which is so famous. If you have not visited this place, you are missing something in Pattaya as i heard. So we went there. After spending few hours we came back and have food and sleep with hope for better tomorrow – Sunny please....
Next Story will be on below picture, How Water Scooter touched the three angle and story begins.....

4 comments:

Chin2 said...

Good One... seems you've enjoyed every moment...:) And look at you... you were looking more like a "Chambal ka Daaku in Making".

dilip said...

Dear Sashi,
You are going on the right track...you have learnt the art of exploring a tourist place like a bug .....It seems your trip was unadulterd fun..seems like I would love to visit this raining seaside paradise...
But I have few questions to ask which you have not explained in the blog.
1. How many boys or girls accompanied you ?
2.what is this Pull bar and pull game ?You are sure nothing else happened between you and your playing partner ?
3. what is Go-Go bar and Walking street ? Don't tell me literal meaning.
4.why you have not posted any real picture? It means the picture depicting the act of crossing flooded street or that girl in the Pull bar or may be your hotel for example .....may be anything related to Pattya in particular which distinguishes this seaside resort town....

Hopefully you won't give me the opportunity to ask so many questions in your next blog.
But clear the dark clouds of doubt before writing anything further.

But,nevertheless it was fun reading your trip details..especially the act of paying for others in the Bar.
I have noticed this trend during my trip to Indonesia.

Stay on the topic.....

SKP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SKP said...

Hi Dilip,
Good to see your detailed comment. Thanks a lot. We were 6 Guys who went to Pattaya in 2 group(4+2).
Carrying the Camera in the Rain was not the right move. So we have not taken those pictures for first 2 days. This is the reason why so many picture are missing based on the aspects mentioned in the blog.
I will let you explore Thailand for few more questions - Virtual Tour.
I will send you the separate link for some more photos for sure.

Thanks
Shashi